Informational Webinar about HQI’s Perinatal Mental Health Initiative
Hospital Quality Institute (HQI) is inviting California birthing hospitals to attend an informational webinar to learn about its new Perinatal Mental Health Initiative (PMH Initiative).
Date and Time
The webinar will take place on Wednesday, January 15, 2020 from 12 Noon – 1 pm. To register, click here.
About PMH Initiative
California hospitals made great strides in improving maternity care in recent years, bucking the national trends of rising maternal mortality and morbidity. However, there has not been a corresponding advance in maternal mental health. HQI would like to help hospitals address maternal mental health disorders as part of comprehensive, high-quality maternity care in our state.
Perinatal mood and anxiety disorders are the most common complication of childbirth, affecting approximately one in five birthing women, with prevalence rates even higher in low-income communities and communities of color. Unfortunately, very few women are diagnosed and of those diagnosed, only about half receive treatment.
PMH Initiative will launch in February 2020 to help strengthen approaches to perinatal mental health. It will assist hospital staff who work in perinatal units to better understand, recognize and effectively respond to mental health issues in the perinatal period. The Initiative will also help hospitals comply with a new law — Assembly Bill 3032 — that, effective Jan. 1, requires hospitals to educate perinatal employees about maternal mental health conditions and inform postpartum women and families about the signs and symptoms of maternal mental health disorders, local post-hospital treatment options, and community resources. The initiative is funded through a grant from the California Health Care Foundation and delivered in collaboration with Maternal Mental Health NOW and CommonSpirit Health (formerly Dignity Health.)
PMH Initiative will offer the following, free of charge, to all California birthing hospitals:
- In February 2020, HQI will kick off PMH Learning Community, a set of programs to provide education, guidance, and tools needed to integrate maternal mental health in perinatal hospital units, as well as peer-to-peer learning and support. The PMH Learning Community will consist of a webinar series, group office hours, one on one coaching and in-person events. The PMH Learning Community will operate from February 2020 through December 2021.
- By April 1, 2020, HQI will release:
- An online course on maternal mental health for perinatal staff and providers
- A quick reference guide with tools and resources for perinatal staff and providers
- A patient engagement app to help women and their families maintain optimal mental health in the postpartum period
- A customizable brochure template hospitals may use to inform women and families about maternal mental health conditions, treatment options, and community resources.
Contact Julia Slininger, RN, Program Manager, PMH Initiative at firstname.lastname@example.org or (213) 453-4519.